Author Topic: welcome to our new member  (Read 42440 times)

Find_Jennifer

• View Profile
Re: welcome to our new member
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »
Pat - I think she is pretty busy, but she'll come back soon I'm sure. :)

Vii

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »
Hey Ann,

Welcome! We LOOOOVE having more eyes and thoughts on this case!

Vii - bet that's a relief to be finished with school! Glad you'll have some more time to be here. A chat room would be nice!

I do have a question for you, or Sefora, or any other Orlando residents/visitors... Do you feel safe in Orlando? Like REALLY safe? Does all of the crime reported shock you, or is it pretty much expected?

Yep F_J, definitely a relief that school is out!  Even though I?ll be starting again next month!! 

As far as your question goes, I?ll be honest.. I only feel *safe* within the school zone.  Anytime I want to go out, I always bring at least one or two friends along.  Actually, scrape that, I don?t even feel FULLY safe within school zone.  There are crimes within the school itself such as robbery at knife point and attempted rape (Just naming two that occurred this past year) that I would hate to deal with.  When I had a night class last spring semester, my friends would pick me up from class because the campus gets quite scary at night when there?s no one.  And downtown Orlando, IMO, is just a sketchy place overall.  There are all kinds of people that hangs around there.  I remember going to Waffle House with my friends when I saw a bunch of guys- in their late teens or early 20's, flashing their gun.  Of course we ran as fast as we could.  Definitely don't want to be part of an investigation of a crime scene.

I gotta admit, after reading Jen's case, I started to become more aware of my surroundings, and was more paranoid, to say the least.  But one can never be too safe and I think Jennifer is a perfect example of that.  Don't get me wrong you guys.. Orlando is an amazing city, but it's also a city where a lot of crimes happen.  I try to stay away from the news sometimes.
Let Jennifer come back home, where she belongs.

Find_Jennifer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Vii. It's nice to hear an opinion of someone who has real living experience there vs making assumptions. Might not be so nice for Mickey Mouse to hear that, tho...

I encourage you to get pepper spray and do everything in your power to protect yourself - take a self defense class with some of your friends, think of plans of action should anyone ever approach you or try to grab you. Use safe calls.

I live in a rather small city where crime happens once in awhile. I have multiple plans for multiple scenarios. I use safe calls in parking lots or when I'm walking in an area alone. Heck, sometimes if I'm getting home late at night I use safe calls to walk into my house!

If people want to think I'm paranoid or crazy, that's fine, I'd rather have a sense of security knowing I've done everything possible to protect myself. They don't realize how this can literally happen to ANYONE.

Pat

• Happy to be here, and co-operate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »
Just wanted to give support here to you guys:
I agree with you guys.
Like you say, whatever it takes to take care of yourself, or make a person feel safe, then that is what is right.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:03:22 PM by Pat »
Anyone can leave an anonymous Tip about this case by calling Crimeline at 1-800-423-tips (8477)

Vii

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
Funny that you would mention Micky Mouse, F_J.  One of the reasons I moved to Orlando was because of Disney World, LOL.  I absolutely love that place and everything about it.  It brings out a really childlike and safe vibe, but that's not what Orlando and this world is all about.

And it's always better to be safe than sorry!  My friends and I all agree on this matter.  We watch the news, we read about it, there's crazy people out there.  And especially with the economy being as bad as it is, people are desperate.  They will do whatever it takes to survive, and if that means taking down their own kind, so be it.  As disturbing as it sounds, it's true and it happens.  Most of the crimes we're dealing with today seems to connect with money in one way or another. 

I'm going on ebay to buy a pepper spray right now!

Find_Jennifer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 01:47:35 AM »
I'm glad to hear that, Vii. I don't know why, but for some reason I worry about you the most out of anyone on the forum lol. I don't think I'm old enough to be your mother, but I guess just knowing you're in college and closer to the age that Jenn was at the time of her abduction, and you're in Orlando makes me nervous.

I didn't worry about safety that much until I read about Jenn's case. I did have a safety whistle that I kept in my junk drawer at home. A lot of good it would do me there. I had pepper spray as my mom insisted I get it when I went to college, but I kept it at the bottom of my purse. (Again, how useful in an emergency.) The one thing I did do right was use safe calls. I felt I was very aware of my surroundings, but I did have the mentality of nothing could/would ever happen. When I read about Jenn's case it really freaked me out that someone as safety conscious as she was could still be abducted.

Now things are completely different. I utilize all of my safety options and I have plans for various situations. Safety first. I take time to notice things like emergency exits and that kind of thing. You are right, Vii, totally different world we're living in now where potential terrorists live among us and people are desperate for money.

Vii

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »
That's so sweet of you, F_J!  I know how I am, I trust people easily and I lack common sense sometimes (LOL.) 

I think you or another member mentioned about that one safety tactic that all forum members should use.  Like let someone else know about us being on this website and if something were to happen, at least others can be notified.  It's been a daily habit of mines to check this forum, and even though I haven't logged on and participated much due to school, I am starting to.  Funny how we could be so concerned for people we've never even met before!

wb

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
Welcome to our newest member Fasteddy8170.

wb

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
Welcome Colorfulhorses.

Pat

• Happy to be here, and co-operate.
    • View Profile
Welcome to our new member(s)
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
Hi fasteddy8170 & colorfulhorses, great to have each of you here. Thank you for becoming members.

:) You will find the forum people here to be a great and caring bunch.

We very much look forward to your ideas, thoughts, and questions.

Patrick
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:25:50 AM by Pat »
Anyone can leave an anonymous Tip about this case by calling Crimeline at 1-800-423-tips (8477)

wb

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »
I have to agree with what Pat said about all the members here.

wb

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »
Welcome UCF ALUM 02.

Ann

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »
Welcome UCF Alum.....:)

Ann

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Oh yeah, and FastTeddy too!

Vii

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
Welcome, fasteddy, colorful, and UCFAlum02! 

UCFAlum02, just wondering, but are you the same person as 'UCFAlumni2002' (A moderator that I didn't know we had!) on this forum?  Perhaps you forgot your password or something and had to make a new account?  In any case, sorry for questioning, just curious!  I found that Jennifer graduated in 2003 from UCF.  Perhaps you knew her?  Again, sorry for all the questions.

Glad that more people are joining!  :)